Thursday, October 14, 2010

Potpourri Fondue Restaurant in Mentor, OH

I love fondue!  I have since high school and even have my own fondue pot.  But, even though I can do my own fondue, I love to go out to fondue restaurants.  I've been to The Melting Pot many times and I love it every single time.  However, I do not love the price!  So, ever since I heard about Potpourri in Mentor, OH, I have been dying to go.  Based on the website (http://www.fondue.net/), the prices are significantly cheaper than The Melthing Pot but there aren't as many options.  Potpourri, though, does offer cooked meals for those who aren't into fondue.  Anyway, I found online (just google "Potpourri Mentor Ohio coupon") an offer that I just couldn't refuse.  A $25.00 gift certificate to Potpourri for $5.00!!!!!  Given, the tip is taken out of the $25.00, but still... My boyfriend, Turk (his nickname) and I knew where we were going for dinner.

The place is a little shady on the outside.  I'm not going to lie, when I pulled into the parking lot of the little strip mall, I was concerned.  There's a bright yellow sign that allows passerbys to know that the restaurant is there.  The restaurant itself is very dark and cozy.  The tables aren't set up to allow a lot of privacy, but there are about twenty of them.  I noticed also that there was no kitchen, the chef "prepared" everything in a little nook in the dining area.  After a bit of waiting because any employees were nowhere to be found (we were the first customers of the evening -- they don't open until 5:00 pm), we were promptly seated by whom I assumed was the owner.  We were given menus and an extensive drink list.  They have a fully stocked bar and what looked like some delicious drinks.  Turk ordered a Labatt Blue and later in the night had a Foster's ($4.00 each).  I, on the other hand, decided to save my $9.00 and just ordered water.  We ordered the Gallery of Fondue with Cheddar Cheese and fat-free broth ($55.00).

The first course to come out was the cheese, which was already pre-mixed and melted in the "kitchen".  We were given unlimited white bread, rye bread and red apples to dip.  The cheese was just ok.  It got clumpy towards the end and I wasn't impressed by the apples or the bread.  Turk loved the bread, however. 

Next, we got salads.  It was about half a cup of mixed greens with some delicious buttery croutons on top.  Rolls with butter were also offered with the salads, but we had had enough bread during the cheese course.  I got honey mustard dressing and it was one of the best honey mustard dressings I've ever had.  Turk had ranch.  The croutons were also very impressive...I don't know why but they were just delicious.

Our "main meal" then came out.  With the broth (we guessed that it was chicken broth) we got shrimp, scallops, marinated beef, chicken, potatoes, mushrooms, onions, broccoli and cauliflower.  There was a ton of food!  Turk even pointed out that it was way more than we would get at The Melting Pot.  The vegetables weren't unlimited, but we wouldn't have been able to eat anymore anyway.  We also received barbeque sauce, sweet and sour sauce, "burmese" sauce (basically sour cream goodness), cocktail sauce and horseradish sauce.  The "burmese" sauce was amazing and comparable to The Melting Pot's Green Goddess sauce.  We even got an extra container of it. 

Dessert was a chocolate fondue with poundcake and fruit.  Potpourri only has one choice for chocolate and luckily for them, it's really good.  It reminded me of a chocolate syrup and I actually saw our waitress ladle it of a container, so it must be pre-made.  She added alcohol and lit it on fire at the table, and we got to roast a marshmallow each.  The amount of chocolate and dippers were perfect because of how full we already were.  We got 4 wedges of poundcake, pineapples, bananas, red apple slices and maraschino cherries. 

The entire dinner took us about 2.5 hours.  And the final bill before the gift certificate was $78.99 (that's with 2 beers).  With the gift certificate, after the waitress took out her 18% tip, we ended paying $53.99 for the whole meal.  That's a decent price for dinner for 2.  However, if we had not had the gift certificate, $78.99 is very similar to the price of an equivalent (Big Night Out) at The Melting Pot.  Given, without the beers, it would've been about $15.00 cheaper. 

I personally preferred The Melting Pot.  Turk liked Potpourri way more though.  I think if I had not gone to The Melting Pot before Potpourri, I would think differently but unfortunately, I have already been spoiled by that chain fondue restaurant.  I like how The Melting Pot has more options.  I also think it's cleaner, more private and romantic, and just nicer looking in general.  And since the real price difference is only about $15.00...I'm willing to pay that to get a more luxurious experience.  If I'm going to pay that much for a meal, I want to be spoiled!  Furthermore, when Turk and I have gone to The Melting Pot, we always shared an entree.  Sure he got to eat all the meat, while I got all the vegetables (those are unlimited), but we always left very full.  And with a cheese, 2 salads, an entree and a chocolate...it's about $60.00.  If you sign up for their club, you get a free chocolate with 2 entrees or a Big Night Out, so you'd pay like $70.00 for a whole 4 course meal (with an entree big enough for 2).

Long story short, price wise, Potpourri and The Melting Pot were really similar, with Potpourri only being a little bit cheaper (if only water is ordered for drink).  Potpourri is straight up fondue without all the frills.  The Melting Pot is more about aesthetics and the experience. 

Have you ever been to The Melting Pot or Potpourri?  How was your experience and what did you think about the restaurant??

No comments:

Post a Comment